Guide to Apply for a trademark in China
1. General Information
The Chinese Trademark Office accepts trademark applications for the registration of trademarks for goods, services, certification and collective trademarks. Any visual sign including words, devices, letters, numerals, three-dimensional symbols, combinations of colors or any combination of the above elements may be applied for the registration of a trademark.
2. Duration of registered trademark
The duration of validity for a registered trademark is 10 years from the date of approval of the registration.
The Chinese Trademark Office adopts the International Classification of Goods & Services, and one mark in one class applies to one application.
4. Information required in the instruction letter
When an applicant entrusts Borsam to file an application for the registration of a trademark, an instruction letter with the following information must be provided:
1. The trademark – Fifteen trademark reproductions must be provided in black and white, and one trademark per class. If colour is to be protected, fifteen coloured and two black and white reproductions must be provided. The reproductions must be clear and defined, and sized between 5 x 5 cm and 10 x 10 cm.
2. The international class(es) and the goods/services they correspond to
3. Name and address of the applicant in English and Chinese
4. Priority Documents (if they exist)